Monday, February 07, 2005

Rafts, yeah right!


Rafts, yeah right!
Originally uploaded by Greg Clark.
Pagsanjan, Laguna PHILIPPINES

This trip was sold to me as a rafting trip on a level 1 river. So I am thinking the American River and a big raft. To my surprise after the 2-hour drive from Makati City was that there were no rafts.
Our mode of transportation would be real skinny wooden boats controlled by 2 oarsmen who would traverse upstream along this river. The boats were not built for people my size. As I sat down in the boat, the water was well below what it would normally be, We were given what the Filipino boatman called a life vest, which consisted of several pieces of Styrofoam in orange fabric. I figure if we capsized I would get rid of mine as it would more than likely drown me. As we went up the river you could see families who used the river as a source of recreation and to make a living. Kids were playing in the deep channel and women could be seen washing clothes.

No comments: